2 Mar 2015

Podcast Recommendation Monday: Death, Sex, and Money

Author: krb3k | Filed under: communication, mobile, podcast, Technology

death-sex-money-1400

Podcast: “Death, Sex+Money” aims to tackle “the big questions and hard choices that are often left out of polite conversation”, and it’s a noble goal. While I’ve never been a fan of celebrities who sit on the talk show host’s couch and tearfully confess to their misdemeanor of the week, I have always been appreciative of honest conversation for the sake of improving oneself, or a situation involving others. As host Anna Sale puts it, this show focuses on “the things we think about a lot, and need to talk about more”, and I take that to mean that we need to talk to those intimately involved in our lives (partners, children, parents, etc) about tough issues such as death (the grieving process; financial ramifications; custody); sex (establishing clear expectations regarding monogamy- is it a non-negotiable? For me, yeah, but it’s interesting to hear about how others negotiate the opposite); and money (separate vs. joint bank accounts; deciding what to spend money on; how to pay for college for your kids, or an assisted living facility for your parents). 

Who’s responsible:

• Host & Managing Editor Anna Sale is a West Virginia native, Stanford grad, and former political reporter. She was also a contributor to This American Life, NPR, Marketplace, Studio 360, PBS Newshour, and Slate. 
  • The show is supported financially by WNYC (public radio), and by individual contributors.

Why I like it:

• The stories are always interesting, but never exploitative; at the end of each episode, I feel that I have a better understanding of some nuance of the topic, and am grateful for that. I never feel as though the guests were the victims of hatchet-jobs, or that the show took advantage of them. They and their stories are always treated respectfully.
  • It’s a mix of celebrities and “normal” people. Quite honestly, I’m not as interested in the celebrity interviews, though I am often struck by how, for all of their money & fame, their struggles are remarkably similar to mine (I know: what a cliche!)
  • It’s not all about white, straight people. DS+M explores the stories of hetero people, gay people, transgender people, and people of color. Not only does it give me a better understanding of the lives and struggles of people who are different from me but, again, the guests demonstrate over and over that we all (regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation) want the same things: love, respect, good health, the safety of our loved ones, financial security, etc.

Website: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/deathsexmoney/